Common Threads: God and Therapy Evening Series
Weaving the Wisdom of God into our Daily Lives
Second Monday night of each month in 2017| 7:00 pm
Retreat Leader: Chris Hyde, PhD.
Details for Feb. 13th Evening of Reflection: Thomas Keating, We are a mixed bag
Father Thomas Keating describes how people often follow “programs for happiness” only to find out later that they were actually following “programs for unhappiness.” He gives a psychological way to reduce this cognitive error by distinguishing the beliefs of your False Self from your True Self. He also teaches several spiritual practices to loosen the sway of your False Self.
The evening will include a presentation about Thomas Keating with time for discussion, exercises for participants to share their experiences with each other and a devotional practice based on Keating's approach. We will also examine the connections between Father Keating and Teresa of Avila.
Cost: A free will offering of $15 is suggested but, if you are interested, please come regardless. All offerings go to support the programs of the Jesus House. Light refreshments will be provided.
To Register for this evening: Please fill out the form below or call the Jesus House office at 302.995.6859.
Common Theme of the Series
A series of informal gatherings will explore how spiritual insights can enhance our understanding of ourselves. The main thread of these meetings is weaving together spiritual and psychological wisdom. We often face anxiety, disconnection, anger and hopeless in our lives; we also experience the joy of closeness with another person, humble service, curiosity and creativity. Both spirituality and psychology address these issues, but their contributions are not always integrated. Each evening’s topic will integrate a specific spiritual teaching with concepts and wisdom from psychology. The goal is to enrich our approach to both the difficulties and joys of life.
- 1/9/17 Teresa of Avila: Integrating our spiritual and psychological sides
- 2/13/17 Thomas Keating: We are a mixed bag: True Self and False Self
- 3/13/17 Quaker Wisdom: Discerning personal thoughts from divine leadings
- 4/10/17 Gerald May: Desire and connection with God
- 5/8/17 Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz; Jesus Scholars: The Kin-dom of God
- 6/12/17 Harville Hendrix, John Gottman: Couples Therapy and our relationship with God
- 7/10/17 Martin Buber: Friendly Universe or Personal God? (I-It or I-Thou relationship?)
- 8/14/17 Tone Matters: Reverence; Tone in relationships
- 9/11/17 Neuroscience and Attunement: Deeply Knowing the Another’s Spirit
- 10/9/17 Marcus Borg: Psychological implications of his theology
- 11/13/17 Teresa of Avila: Our Pearl of Great Price
- December no meeting
A Warm Welcome to All: People from all religious traditions are welcome at these meetings. Wisdom from all traditions will be included as appropriate to the topic.
For more information: Email Chris Hyde at email@example.com or phone at 410.398.1993.
Dr. Chris Hyde, PhD is a licensed clinical psychologist who has worked in various settings: therapy services in inner city schools, the adolescent judicial system as well as traditional clinics; he has done physiological research on ADHD and aggression; he does program evaluation for trauma treatment. He has studied classical and modern spirituality for many years.He currently provides private-practice psychotherapy as well as Spirit-informed coaching in his office near Newark, DE.