This evening of reflection is the eighth in a monthly series exploring how spiritual wisdom enhances our understanding of human nature.
Check back for details of this evenings talk.
This evening of reflection will be facilitated by Christopher Hyde, PhD, a psychologist with experience in in research, community psychology and therapy. The evening will include lecture, discussion and experiential activities with an opportunity to interact with other attendees.
To Register for this evening: Please fill out the form below or call the Jesus House office at 302.995.6859.
Cost: A free will offering of $15 is suggested. You may make a free will offering online - click on the Donate button, or at the door. All offerings go to support the programs of the Jesus House. Light refreshments will be provided.
Common Theme of the Series
A series of informal gatherings will explore how spiritual insights can enhance our understanding of ourselves. The main thread of these meetings is weaving together spiritual and psychological wisdom. We often face anxiety, disconnection, anger and hopeless in our lives; we also experience the joy of closeness with another person, humble service, curiosity and creativity. Both spirituality and psychology address these issues, but their contributions are not always integrated. Each evening’s topic will integrate a specific spiritual teaching with concepts and wisdom from psychology. The goal is to enrich our approach to both the difficulties and joys of life.
Schedule of Monthly Topics on 2nd Monday of the Month:
- 1/9/17 Teresa of Avila: Integrating our spiritual and psychological sides
- 2/13/17 Thomas Keating: We are a mixed bag: True Self and False Self
- 3/13/17 Quaker Wisdom: Discerning personal thoughts from divine leadings
- 4/10/17 Gerald May: Desire and connection with God
- 5/8/17 Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz; Jesus Scholars: The Kin-dom of God
- 6/12/17 Harville Hendrix, John Gottman: Couples Therapy and our relationship with God
- 7/10/17 Martin Buber: Friendly Universe or Personal God? (I-It or I-Thou relationship?)
- 8/14/17 Neuroscience and Attunement: Deeply Knowing the Another’s Spirit
- 9/11/17 Psychological implications of Marcus Borg’s views of God
- 10/9/17 Martin Buber: I-It and I-Thou relationships
- 11/13/17 Teresa of Avila: Our Pearl of Great Price
- December no meeting
A Warm Welcome to All: People from all religious traditions are welcome at these meetings. Wisdom from all traditions will be included as appropriate to the topic.
For more information: Email Chris Hyde at email@example.com or phone at 410.398.1993.
Dr. Chris Hyde, PhD is a licensed clinical psychologist who has worked in various settings: therapy services in inner city schools, the adolescent judicial system as well as traditional clinics; he has done physiological research on ADHD and aggression; he does program evaluation for trauma treatment. He has studied classical and modern spirituality for many years.He currently provides private-practice psychotherapy as well as Spirit-informed coaching in his office near Newark, DE.